Monday, February 21, 2011

Microfiction Monday

It's time for Microfiction Monday again, thanks to Susan at Stony River, who posts the weekly picture.

This week's picture:


I usually try to write something a bit unusual or unexpected for MM, which is difficult with so many great bloggers participating, all looking for the slightly off-beat angle on a picture. So far this week I've encountered mysteries, near-death experiences, pizza stalls and hallway-skating and I've only read a handful of entries. I've also found several institutions, asylums (asyla?), hospitals, schools. . .

So there is plenty of scope for creativity, but sadly all of mine has deserted me. Instead, my MM entry this week is actually a moment from my first novel, The Home (currently being edited, slowly, by me, with lots of swearing). It was the only thing I could think about when I saw the picture.

She reached up to where her hair used to be and looked down the corridor. This would be her home for the next nine months.

16 comments:

  1. Beautifully sad. Makes me want to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww lovely - very moving. Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen,
    I am new to micro fiction, discovered your blog, signed on and hope you will do the same http://lindaoconnell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done.
    The picture you painted was very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sad. Hope she makes it out of there whole and not broken.... :O(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel sorry for this girl, and a little frightened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad, but so very well done! A very poignant picture indeed! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I liked it! It stirred emotion. That is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, excellent! Now I wqant to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those two sentences REALLY make me want to know the rest of the story! Very good one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow-you grabbed me right from the start! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks guys, glad you all enjoyed it!

    Linda, thanks for following me, I have followed you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where her hair used to be? I would definitely read on!

    Thanks for the comment on mine, Ellen. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this! I hope she gets the help she needs and her hair grows back! Good one this week. Cheers~

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!